Tom Price Emergency Services Cadet Corps (TPESCC)
In 2019 the Tom Price Emergency Services Cadet Corps has more than 100 cadets. Meeting every Tuesday of each term, cadets are exposed to numerous situations and scenarios with hands-on activities and tasks. Thanks must go to the 21 regular instructors and the other volunteers who happily gave their time and expertise from the following groups in Tom Price:
~ Fire and Rescue (FRS) ~ St. John Ambulance
~ State Emergency Service (SES) ~ Pilbara Regiment
~ Tom Price Senior High School ~ Bush Fire Brigade (BFB)
~ WA Police
Over the last four years community service has increased and cadets are being asked to volunteer for more events. This includes working with Rio Tinto at their major town events, sporting clubs, catering, gardening and cleaning, busy bees and general maintenance:
~ 2014: 3000 hours ~ 2015: 3200 hours
~ 2016: 3260 hours ~ 2017: 3168 hours
~ 2018: 3520 hours
Graduated Cadets who have volunteered into other services:
In 2018, 4 cadets are involved as a junior member of SES, 4 cadets are involved as a junior member of FRS and BFB. The Country Youth Ambulance Volunteer Program with St John’s was introduced in Tom Price in 2016 increased in number with 2018 having 21 cadets involved in this program. Senior St John CYAO cadets (3) obtained their Level 1 Ambulance Officer accreditation with two of these cadets commencing call outs with adult volunteers.
In 2018, the work and efforts by the Cadet Unit received recognition for their work in the community.
The Tom Price Emergency Services Cadet Unit was also recognised and acknowledged with the following achievements:
- Finalist RAC Western Australian Community Volunteer Organisation of the Year Award.
- Nominated for the WA Regional Awards – Primesuper Community Group of the Year.
- Nominated for the RAC Volunteering Award.
- DFES Host School of the Year Award
- DFES Cadet of the Year—Callum O’Connell
- Finalist DFES Cadet Unit of the Year
- DFES Youth Fire and Rescue Award—Callum O’Connell
- St John Youth Volunteer Award—Jack Dawson
In 2019, the Tom Price Emergency Services Cadet Unit has been recognised and acknowledged with the following achievements:
- Semi-finalist in the RFDS State Volunteer Award
- Finalist in the 2019 Channel 7 Young Achievers Award